Wednesday, January 18, 2006

still love it, five seasons later

Last night kicked off season FIVE of American Idol, beginning with auditions in Chicago, and although I'm sure there are people out there who are sooo tired of this show, I still love it to death. Two hours (which I'll admit, is a bit much, but I still enjoy every minute) of mostly ridiculous auditions. I'd be here all day trying to remember all the insanity, but a few memorable contestants to note:

- Crystal, the super fake baked 16 year old who Simon mocks for being orange, and quite frankly, I can't blame him. And she sounded like a dying parrot when she sang.
- "Yuliya" which I guess is ukranian for "Julia," and she can't sing for shit, but she does this super sexy rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody, and though she sounds insanely awful, her performance is enough to turn on the judges, even Paula. So much for that performers visa.
- Guy wearing Statue of Liberty costume who LITERALLY gets only TWO WORDS into his rendition of New York, New York before getting cut off and sent away by Simon. I was DYING.
- Crazy white guy who's name I can't remember, but spends most of his time jumping around and having what appear to be body spasms, as though he's been taken over by evil spirits. and for SOME reason I can't quite fathom, Randy and Paul decide to let him through to Hollywood. Simon is like WTF? And again, I can't say I blame him.
- We never see his actual audtion, but the guy with the bad blond bob in the striped shirt that kept falling asleep in the waiting area and started unconsciously feeling up the guy sitting next to him was hysterical.

Awful awful, hysterically funny stuff. As far as good auditions go, the only ones I remember and liked were the two sets of twins that auditioned. That's right, I'm a sucker for a gimmick. Tonight, on to Denver!

No comments: