Saturday, July 07, 2007

Ladies and Gentlemen...

The Bronx is Burning is coming to ESPN! The 8 episode miniseries event starts Monday night at 10PM on ESPN (after the Home Run Derby) and I can't wait! I'm currently reading the book that this is based on (full title: Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bronx is Burning: 1977, Baseball, Politics, and the Battle for the Soul of a City), which is a fabulous portrayal of NYC in the 70's. 1997 was quite a year in New York - the blackout, the Son of Sam, the then-unknown Rupert Murdoch buying the Post, and two big battles between Mario Cuomo and Ed Koch and the Yankees' Manager Bill Martin and Reggie Jackson in his first year a a Yankee.

I will likely be behind in watching this series because I am still reading the book and want to finish that up before watching, but stay tuned a I am SURE I will have an opinion about what I see once I see it.

In the meantime and quite fittingly, today I'm off to Old Timers Day at Yankee Stadium, honoring the 30th anniversary of the '77 Yankees world championship!

No comments: