Wednesday, November 21, 2007

favorite things

So I stopped recording Oprah a while back, BUT I did set my DVR to record The Oprah Winfrey Show on Tuesday, November 20th. Why? Because it was her annual Favorite Things extravaganza episode and even I could not be kept from getting swept up in the crazy chaos and excitement of Oprah giving away a crapload of super cool things worth an obscenely large amount of money. Yes, I buy into the insanity. And so, Oprah's favorite things in 2007:

1. Samsung HD camcorder - it's teeny tiny and super high tech. Retail price: $800.

2. Crochet Uggs, which I don't actually think are all that cute but I bet they are super comfy and warm. Retail price: $120 accordingly to Oprah, but the Ugg website sells them for $100.

3. The ToyWatch. Retail price: $150.

(At this point the audience is already screaming and crying so hard they are practically shaking. And we are less than ten minutes into the episode. Scary.)

4. Perfect Endings Holiday Cupcakes in red velvet, chocolate and coconut flavors. Retail price: $59 for a box of 9 cupcakes (3 in each flavor). In case you are counting, this comes out to over $6 PER cupcake. I will be sticking to my $1.85 cupcakes from Buttercup.

5. Williams-Sonoma melamine nested mixing bowls with matching measuring cups and spoons. $32 for the bowls and $18 for the cups and spoons.

6. The KitchenAid standmixer - retail $349. I have been DYING for one of these (but there is zero room in my kitchen for this monstrosity).

7. The Planet Earth DVD series from the Discovery Channel. Retail price: $59.95

8. Kai body butter and body buffer, which is like a loofah with built in soap. Retail price: $83 for both - that is a lot for soap, no?

9. Clarisonic skincare system, from the makers of the Sonicare toothbrush. Retail price: $195.

10. Claus Porto jumbo soaps from Lafco New York (where I want to go!) in 17 different scents. A set of 3 is $42. Oprah sure is into the overpriced soaps this year.

11. Autographed copies of The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Oprah's holiday must-read book.

(FedEx elves make their third trip out to the audience at this point. Insanity.)

12. Breville Icon panini press. $99.95 exclusively at Williams-Sonoma. I want one of these too. Don't have room for this in my kitchen either.

13. The most expensive thing in Favorite Things history: LG refrigerator with a built in HDTV, DVD hook-up and radio. You can also access local weather built-in recipes. There is a tv in the refrigerator. Seriously. And costs $3,799. Holy crap.

14. Ciao Bella blood orange sorbeto (inside the LG freezer of course). YUM. $4.99 a pint.

15. Loungy outfits by Rachel Pally. Sailor pants are $194 and tops are $141. I realize this stuff is supposed to be fancy and such, but I would never wear this to be honest.

16. Premiere edition of Scrabble - it's got a built in drawer to store the pieces and spins on a lazy Susan. 70 for game night!

17. United Artists 90th Anniversary Prestige Collection - 90 DVD movies in a box. NINETY movies in one box! $869. She says it's a great gift, but who can afford to buy this for someone?

18. $250 gift card for Target. Woohoo! We love Target!

19. Shaklee Get Clean starter kit. Go green. $89.60 for a basket of the cleaning stuff.

20. O's Guide to Life. The Best of O Magazine all combined into one book. And autographed by Oprah of course. $29.95.

At this point Josh Groban comes out singing Christmas carols. I'm not a huge fan, but he does a pretty stunning version of Silent Night and then shows off piano skills too. So obviously, the logical next favorite thing:

21. Josh Groban Noel CD.

22. And obviously, to wrap all the fab gifts Oprah has just convinced you all to buy - Hallmark RED wrapping paper and holiday card collection.

Not too shabby for the guests in Georgia that got to go to this special taping! And just what I needed to get me in the mood for holiday shopping, since I totally love the time of year coming up and get a high off holiday shopping. Black Friday, here I come!

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to all! :)

No comments: