Thursday, May 25, 2006

the biggest season EVER.

Okay, I'll admit it, I caved in and watched pieces of AI between innings of baseball last night. I am guilty. The boycott failed. It's not my fault they kept showing non-stop commercials to advertise "the biggest night on tv." I haven't actually DVRed it since the Chris ousting though, so I only see whatever snippets I happen to see when flipping channels. In any case, I'm not really quite sure what the HELL they were doing for TWO ENTIRE HOURS, but there certainly was a lot of hullabaloo from what I can tell. A big waste of airtime mostly. Pickler playing with snails and lobsters in the company of Wolfgang Puck. Katherine singing a shoddy vocal with Meatloaf accompaniment. Bad awards. Katharine and Taylor getting free cars. Blah! BUT, I DID enjoy Elliott singing U2 - because you couldn't help but be amused with the fact that his is SO NOT Bono but Elliott is just that much fun. And who doesn't love Mary J. Blige? Fox sure did pull out all the stops for this one. Whew, all that and it was still only one hour in.

Hour 2: I could be mistaken, but I do believe they had Toni Braxton singing on stage with Taylor in her lingerie?! And then a girls' medley, where I got seriously tired of listening to Katharine sing. That was the moment I decided I wanted Taylor to win. More bad awards. I'd like to have a word with the producers of this finale. A big ole AI All Star medley. Bad love songs from Katharine and other people. Bucky singing about raindrops falling on his head. Mandissa. Chicken Little singing showtunes. Dionne Warwick! That's what friends are for... okay FINE, I'll admit it, I liked it a little, okay?! The Taylor and Katharine Dirty Dancing Duet was just tragic though. So useless. Sooooo cheesy and awful. And Prince? What the...?

And then... 63.4 million votes later... Taylor Hicks wins it all. And sings his incredibly underwhelming equivalent of A Moment Like This. These finales must make Kelly Clarkson want to barf. He also screams a great deal, and I still have no idea where his "Soul Patrol" moniker came from. Another season, over and done. whew. That was exhausting, even without watching the last few weeks.

So now that all these shows are wrapping up for the season, I'm left wondering what I'll be watching and writing about over the summer. All the B list shows are starting to come out of the woodworks (i.e. another season of So You Think You Can Dance is starting tonight) but I don't know what I should be watching. Suggestions, anyone?

On tap for tonite, the season finale of 24, finally I have time for it! I burned the roof of my mouth on a slice of pizza with super steamy bubbly cheese yesterday and its still hurting today. youch.

No comments: