Wednesday, March 16, 2005

your 15 minutes are up

Poor Man’s Fez showed up on yesterday’s Regis & Kelly, wearing a green patchwork fedora. Did you know that before being on AI, he worked at Vera Wang? In any case, when questioned why he quit the show, he claimed he instinctively felt the competition was personally not right for him, and equated it to how you sometimes fall out of love with someone. uhh, okay poor man’s fez, whatever you say. We’ll be waiting for the scandal to break, cuz you know there is one.

Coincidentally, Ashton Kutcher was a guest and the first thing he said to Regis & Kelly was, “I’m not buying that Vasquez kid at all. I’ve got a theory: I don’t think he’s Mario Vasquez at all. I think he’s Wilmer Valderama from the 70’S show in disguise!” hahaa.

Mario was also on Letterman and did “Top 10 Reasons Why I Quit American Idol.” He didn’t wear his hat this time, though I wish he did. that hair of his is out of control. His number 4 reason was “screw it, I’m quitting this too” and then he walked off the stage. and that’s a wrap.

Anyhoos, on to the competition… “60’s Nite” in the AI theater. I was hoping someone would sing Build Me Up Buttercup so that I could compare it to when Clay Aiken sang it in season 2, one of my favorite AI performances ever, but nobody did. bummer. I’m not going to do a play by play of each contestant like I did last week, mainly because I don’t think I can actually remember all 12 contestants and the order they went in. I’m going to have to start taking notes during the shows to be able to write my commentary.

Generally speaking, the wardrobe people have made drastic progress since last week. I've still got a few issues, but overall, nice improvement. Stick to the jeans people, it works way better than the coolats.
Mikalah, it is REALLY time for you to go home. You remind me of Fran Drescher more and more every week, and I'm just not having it anymore.
I still stick to my comment that Bo Bice needs some hair serum to tame his mane, but I will admit I rather enjoyed his little rocker performance. It’s time to lose the leather pants though.
Ever since I found out that Constantine's "leaving his band to try out for AI" bit was a scam, I've decided I hate him. Anyone who has to fabricate a gimmick to get on the show is just lame.
Anthony Federov was wearing a kind of tight short sleeved polo shirt and almost looking kinda buff in it. go figure. but he is still more creepy than cute.
Poor man Fez's replacement, poor man's bobby brown, did some karaoke-like Jackson 5 performance, and sadly, I could imagine Mario doing the exact same performance if he had not quit.
Scott Savol is my "feel good" pick of the week. I hated him during the early rounds of auditions, but he has grown on me quite a bit.
I unfortunately did not LOVE Anwar's performance this week, but he is still my favorite to go the distance. Nadia would be my female pick of the week.
and...yeah, don't have much to say about whoever's left. which means either i'm paying attention to the wrong people (quite possible – I get a little trigger happy with the fast forward button on my remote control sometimes), or they are incredibly mediocre and will all be going home within the next month or so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually did catch last night's AI while eating dinner with the in-laws. Quite entertaining, I must say. And where does Simon get all his comments from? "In a competition full of hamburgers, you are a steak." He's a comedic genius! Although I don't know enough about the contestants to comment on any of them - I can say that Scott is a poor white man's Reuben and I love him! I think I'm going to vote Paula Abdul off -she really does nothing for the show. At least Debbie Gibson will take off her clothes (for Playboy) - but she's probably equally annoying.

cindy said...

i agree, the hamburgers and steak comments was fabulous. I actually thought he was going to say, "in a competition full of hamburgers, you are a deluxe bacon cheddar cheeseburger" but steak works just as well.