Tuesday, May 09, 2006

bubble boy

I recently learned a new word at work: "kerfuffle" -- its a noun, meaning 'a disorderly outburst or tumult.' Synonyms: disturbance, disruption, commotion, flutter, hurly burly, hoo-hah. My project manager has taken to hanging signs on the door to her office. Well, actually the consultant who sits in that office with her hangs the signs. It started with the "No Walk Ins" sign. Then came the "That's CRAZY" sign, which appeared when she said it 8 times in one day, and now that is her trademark phrase. Recently I walked by and there was a new sign that said "Kerfuffles" in a big red circle with a line through it. In other words, "No Kerfuffles Allowed." Why am I telling you this story?

Well, that word is what I'd like to use to describe the insanity known as David Blaine. I've been trying to pay him no attention the past week while he's been pruning away in the bubble, but the publicity garnered by this act of absurdity has made it impossible to ignore. You feel like you're watching a treacherous train wreck unfold before your eyes and as disgusting and gross as it is, you cannot tear your eyes away. And THAT is what last night was during david blaine's crazy stunt. I do believe ABC's "Drowned Alive" title was false advertising. Nine minutes my ass. I bet even Jack Bauer can't hold his breath for that long!! KERFUFFLES!!!

(oh yeah, speaking of Kiefer, I was so disturbed by the time I was done watching the bubble boy kerfuffle that I couldn't even simmer down enough to watch 24. sorry. Baseball overrules for the next few nights, so no 24 probably til the weekend. *gasp* Sacrilege, I know. My apologies.)

No comments: